16 June 2009

Healing Revisited

As the members of CCBL know, I had planned to do a 4-6 week study of dealing with hurt in the church. How to prevent being wounded, what to do when you are wounded, and how not to wound others. It turned out to be a totally God lead study through the book of 2 Corinthians. In hind sight, it may have been a God thing just to prepare me for upcoming events in my life as it was unfolding before me.

I wrote the other day on my blog, and in my devotional, about a healing process that I had gone through (see Mother-in-Lew Reintroduced below), and an initial comment made by my friend Brian. Well, since then comments have kept coming in, not just from family and friends, but others who read my blog and receive the devotional that have no connection to my family, or any knowledge whatsoever of the interworking of our family to even have any idea what may have been going on. Yet, many people have been blessed by that story of healing. No one more than I.

The healing power of God is complete, and it is awesome. His work on the cross has allowed for our healing, and our ability to use the grace that He has imparted on us to offer grace, rather than being offended or hurt in the first place. As was stated yesterday and bears repeating today, who are we to take that offense back? But what He has truly amazed me with, is the power of God to work in our lives outside of time. These events have given me a new understanding and appreciation of God’s mercy, and a greater understanding of God Himself.

What I had not realized until that day was that God had already healed me. The healing had already been done, in my past, but I did not realize that until I was faced with dealing with that hurt. I had prayed many hours and many times about God bringing healing in my life and the lives of others who had been offended. And although I had not known it, realized, or perhaps better said, accepted it, God has already answered those prayers.

Someone commented this way, “He literally showed me forgiveness is possible as I felt at the moment… He has wiped the slate clean” Wow! What great words. There is a time for weeping and mourning. But the time for healing is always. Psalm 41:4 says, “I said, “LORD, be merciful to me; Heal my soul, for I have sinned against You.”

Perhaps our greatest sins are the times when we do not trust God that He has already granted our requests, and we simply refuse to see it? Have mercy on us God for our unbelief.

No comments:

Post a Comment