07 November 2008

Accountability (Spiritual)

Luke 16:2
'So he called him and said to him, ‘What is this I hear about you? Give an account of your stewardship, for you can no longer be steward.’

The topic of accountability came up between my wife and I this morning, and I felt it worth exploring today.

The verse above comes from the parable of the talents. Obviously, the message is clear that we are accountable for what God gives us. If you do a word search for the word ‘accountable’ it makes for an interesting study. God makes it clear throughout scripture that we are accountable for our actions. Not only to Him, but to others as well. King David said in his famous Psalm, “ I have sinned against you, and you alone”, and of course this is true, but you can easily cause an offense to anther, and held just as accountable to God for that.

When God gives us something (salvation, growth, a spiritual gift, a friend or spouse, children, our right to vote in this nation, even our very life), we owe it to Him to be accountable for the proper use of that gift. We use our gifts, not to benefit us (necessarily, although many times they do by God’s good Grace), but rather to glorify HIM!

Lately that has been His theme to me; glorify the Father. I pray I do with every breath, but know just as well that I fail. Don’t make the mistake of glorifying God with all your worth, instead glorify God with all HE’s worth!

No comments:

Post a Comment